Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Does a spouse of a non member need their permission to receive a temple recommend? I am a former Bishop and I thought I remember in the handbook that if a women wanted to go to the temple, she needed the permission of her husband to get a temple recommend and take out her endowments. Has this changed or was I mistaken?



Dear Rod,

mormon-temple-Bismark-NorthDakotaYou are not mistaken. According to the Church Handbook of Instruction 2010 for Bishops and Stake Presidents, when a man or woman is married to someone who is unendowed, the bishop must receive written permission from the spouse.

It doesn’t matter if the spouse is a member or a non member. The bishop and stake president must also be certain that taking on the responsibility of the endowment will not impair marital harmony.


Copyright © 2022 Ask Gramps - Q and A about Mormon Doctrine. All Rights Reserved.
This website is not owned by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes called the Mormon or LDS Church). The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. The views expressed by individual users are the responsibility of those users and do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. For the official Church websites, please visit or

Pin It on Pinterest