Print Friendly, PDF & Email



Dear Gramps,

What are the requirements for a temple marriage?





Dear Stevie,

The candidates for a Mormon temple marriage must first of all receive a temple recommend from their Bishop certifying to their worthiness to enter the holy temple. This recommend must be countersigned by the Stake President after also interviewing the candidates.

If the couple to be married in the temple have not been previously married to each other, they must obtain from the state in which they live a valid marriage license.

Then they must call the temple in which they wish to be married to make an appointment for the marriage to be performed. They may invite guests to witness the marriage ceremony, but all guests who come to witness the marriage must also have valid temple recommends in order to enter the Mormon temple.

In order for anyone to receive a recommend to enter the temple they must be living in compliance with all the laws of the gospel, and the bridegroom must have been ordained to an office in the Melchizedek priesthood.






Copyright © 2022 Ask Gramps - Q and A about Mormon Doctrine. All Rights Reserved.
This website is not owned by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes called the Mormon or LDS Church). The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. The views expressed by individual users are the responsibility of those users and do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. For the official Church websites, please visit or

Pin It on Pinterest