Print Friendly, PDF & Email



Dear Gramps,

I have a friend that is a convert to the Mormon Church. Her mother is thinking about being baptized soon. However her mother has been divorced for quite some time and neither my friend nor her mother has any interest in her father whatsoever. My friend wants to know if her mother is baptized can she go to the temple and be sealed to her mother? Basically can someone be sealed to just one of the parents in the temple? If so how is that done? Thank you





Dear Jeff,

A child cannot be sealed to just one parent. However, your friend’s mother may meet and marry a worthy priesthood holder and be sealed to him in the temple. Then her children could be sealed to their mother and her husband. However, in order to do so, if the children have not reached the age of majority, it is my understanding that they must be legally adopted by their new father.







Copyright © 2021 Ask Gramps - Q and A about Mormon Doctrine. All Rights Reserved.
This website is not owned by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes called the Mormon or LDS Church). The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. The views expressed by individual users are the responsibility of those users and do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. For the official Church websites, please visit or

Pin It on Pinterest