Print Friendly, PDF & Email



Dear Gramps,

When a person is going to the Mormon congregation to which they belong, but they don’t feel too good about that ward, is it alright to change wards?





Dear Bill,

Ward boundaries are recorded at Church headquarters so that when people move into a given geographical area their membership records may be sent to the appropriate bishop who presides over all the members living within the boundaries of his ward. The only way that your membership records could be transferred to another ward would be for you to actually move into that ward.

If you were to try to affiliate with a ward in which you did not live, you would be treated as a visitor to that ward. The bishop of that ward has not authority over you. He does not have your membership records, and so normally you would not be called to any position of service within that ward.

Rather than changing wards, why don’t you try changing attitudes?





Copyright © 2024 Ask Gramps - Q and A about Mormon Doctrine. All Rights Reserved.
This website is not owned by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes called the Mormon or LDS Church). The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. The views expressed by individual users are the responsibility of those users and do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. For the official Church websites, please visit or

Pin It on Pinterest