Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Dear Gramps,

My husband and his 1st wife were converts to the LDS church, but never sealed in the temple.  I am not a member, but interested in learning and perhaps joining.  Half of our 10 children are members.  I am divorced from an abusive husband.  Randy and & have been married for 25 years.  He is the father of all my children  We had our previous marriages annulled through the Catholic Church and our marriage was convalidated in the Catholic Church.  What would have to happen for us to be able to be sealed to each other and our children if we joined the LDS Church?


Dear Gwyneth,

The first step would be for you to become a member of the LDS Church.  The full time missionaries assigned to your area would be happy to teach you the Gospel.  Your Bishop would be of service in arranging this.

Only worthy members of the Church are able to attend the Temple and participate in the ordinances performed there.  There you and your husband would be sealed together for time and all eternity.  Your member children who are worthy could also be sealed to you.

In order for you to attend the Temple, you need to be a member for at least one year, be worthy and have an interview with your Priesthood Leaders.

Your Bishop will be able to help you through this process.


Copyright © 2023 Ask Gramps - Q and A about Mormon Doctrine. All Rights Reserved.
This website is not owned by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes called the Mormon or LDS Church). The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. The views expressed by individual users are the responsibility of those users and do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. For the official Church websites, please visit or

Pin It on Pinterest