Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Can a man married to a divorced woman (specifically if she was sealed in the temple in her first marriage) be called to be a Bishop? I can’t find an accurate answer for that. Thanks!




As I have taken time to research an answer to your question I have found nothing specifically stating a man who is married to a woman who was divorced, temple sealing or without.

Stake presidents recommend names to the First Presidency to fill the calling of a bishop; upon approval the stake president is able to extend the call and set apart the individual as a bishop.

I recognize practices and policies may change overtime, however we have examples in our history of stake presidents who were married to divorced women. For example, Andrew Kimball (President Kimball’s father) upon the death of his first wife married a woman who was divorced. Andrew Kimball was a stake president for 26 years.



Copyright © 2023 Ask Gramps - Q and A about Mormon Doctrine. All Rights Reserved.
This website is not owned by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes called the Mormon or LDS Church). The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. The views expressed by individual users are the responsibility of those users and do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. For the official Church websites, please visit or

Pin It on Pinterest