Print Friendly, PDF & Email




If a father is unworthy and the mother is deceased, can an adult child be sealed to his grandparents or aunt and uncle?






The sealing power was restored through the great prophet Elijah who came to “turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers” (Malachi 4:6). As with all things in His restored church, sealings are to beĀ  carried out in the order and manner He has instituted, so that all may be joined together as His children and receive the blessings of the temple.

Couples are sealed together, and children sealed to their parents. This creates a chain moving up and down the line, bringing the entire family together- from our oldest ancestors to our youngest children. Those who live unworthy of the blessings will be cut from the chain or “sifted as wheat”, and the remaining links are left whole.

Because all things are done in the order predicated- in a situation like the one you’ve described, this sealing will not be performed until the father is either living worthily or has passed on so that the work may be done by proxy. You will have to wait, but remember that your wait will be but a short moment and the Lord will not allow anyone to be overlooked as His great work continues.






Copyright © 2023 Ask Gramps - Q and A about Mormon Doctrine. All Rights Reserved.
This website is not owned by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes called the Mormon or LDS Church). The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. The views expressed by individual users are the responsibility of those users and do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. For the official Church websites, please visit or

Pin It on Pinterest